Streamlined Energy and Carbon Reporting (SECR) is a mandatory framework that the UK government put in place from 1st April 2019, replacing the Carbon Reduction Commitment (CRC) Energy Efficiency Scheme. It requires companies to report annually on their energy consumption, Greenhouse Gas (GHG) emissions and energy intensity in the past 12-month period.
SECR aims to bring simpler carbon and energy reporting to more businesses, aligning with existing reporting mechanisms to reduce the burden of compliance requirements on organisations. It ensures that energy use and carbon emissions will be contextualised and accessible to company boards and investors, combined with an energy intensity metric (such as kWh per unit of production or per employee).
Who does it apply to?
SECR will impact UK quoted companies and ‘large’ unquoted companies, groups and LLPs that which meet at least two of the following criteria in the relevant financial years:
- At least 250 employees
- Annual turnover greater than £36m
- Annual balance sheet greater than £18m
Companies that meet the participation criteria will be exempt from SECR if they meet one of the following conditions:
- Companies that can formally demonstrate that their total energy use is 40MWh or less during a period in which the report is prepared.
- UK subsidiaries will not be required to separately report if they are ‘subsidiary undertaking’ at the end of the financial year, or if their activities are included in a UK Group’s report.
- Unquoted companies not registered in the UK – although any UK subsidiaries that meet the participation criteria in their own right will need to report.
What needs to be reported?
The reporting requirements for quoted and unquoted companies, groups and LLPs, are:
- Scope 1 and 2 energy consumption and GHG emissions (tonnes of CO2e) – with a minimum of electricity, gas and transport
- Intensity metric relevant to the sector
- Method of calculating energy use and GHG emission figures
- Scope 3 emissions – reporting is voluntary
- Energy efficiency actions taken in the financial year reported
These requirements are largely the same for all companies who fall under the scope of SECR, but we can discuss the applicable differences with you on your compliance journey.
Achieve compliance cost effectively
The qualification criteria and requirements of SECR are complex and many organisations will need to take substantive steps in order to comply.
We offer a range of reporting services to help companies achieve compliance in a cost effective manner. With extensive sector expertise, our energy specialists are on hand to advise and help you to implement energy efficiency projects and help you build out your energy and sustainability strategy.
Compliance with SECR doesn’t just have to be a tick-the-box exercise – at SaveMoneyCutCarbon, we can provide a pathway to more sustainability for your organisation, and help you plan and deliver your sustainability road map.
SECR is just the first step
Our end-to-end sustainability services cover energy and water efficiency audits, product specification and design through to project management and installation across a wide range of areas. We can create a bespoke outsourced sustainability package for your organisation that sits firmly within your budget, providing access to our expertise in a flexible solution that puts you in the driving seat.
With 1,000+ successful water & energy saving projects completed, we can provide you with peace of mind as the same company that completed your reporting are delivering your projects via our experienced and trusted UK-wide field service team, with none of the hidden costs often found when using multiple vendors.
Start your journey to SECR compliance
Get in touch with our team to discuss your SECR compliance project
0333 123 5464